Sunday 7 April 2019

2019. #52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks; Week 15 Prompt: DNA

Week 15 Prompt: DNA





A couple of years ago my husband and I decided to have DNA tests done. We used Ancestry first of all and then Family Finder. It was interesting to see which countries our ancestors came from.  But that was not our main interest.  It was to have a record so that hopefully at some time our ancestors would be traced in a proven manner.

Although I have saved on file many helpful documents on how to utilize the DNA results, and attended interesting presentations, at this time I have not had time to follow up. 

When the results first came, I was keen and contacted those other people DNA tested, who matched me. Sadly, most did not reply. Of the few who did, we were still unable to identify the connection, as it was probably too distant. 
I have saved my results on 'My Heritage' and 'Gedmatch' as well. 
There are a couple of ‘Brick Walls’ that I do hope to break down in the future when more people have tested and I understand it better.

2 comments:

  1. DNA is like learning family history all over again isn’t it? Such a steep learning curve. Now more people are being tested (especially on Ancestry) I find it easier to match up the families. I’m on all the sites you mentioned too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Pauline, it is a whole new learning experience - maybe one day I'll gt the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete