Thursday 3 October 2024

The Maternal Brooch

 A little while before my mother died she gave me a brooch. A large ‘C’ shaped silver one with different stone sections. Mum explained that it had been her grandmother's - Eleanor Palmer neé Wells. She passed it on to her daughter - Violet Cottam neé Palmer, Mum’s mother. Because she had two daughters she decided to have a jeweller cut it in half and re-clasp it, for them - my mum, Lilian and my aunt Eleanor Burkitt neé Cottam. 


It is an unusual brooch and quite heavy, but of course very special.  


Eleanor Palmer was born on 17 February 1840 in Speldhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England. I wonder if the stones were from around that area or maybe even the brooch had been handed down from the previous generation - Eleanor Fry/Price born 1821 in Speldhurst. This Eleanor emigrated to Port Fairy, Victoria, Australia in 1853 with her husband, Thomas Wells and family.  


A few years ago I found in my inherited mother’s photos, one of my great grandmother and lo and behold she is wearing the original brooch on the collar at her throat!  Seeing it on her brought me a strong feeling of connection.


                                            

                                                 Eleanor Fry/Price wearing brooch


**********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment