Tuesday 9 October 2018

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. Week 41, Prompt - 'Sports'

Week 41:  'Sports'

I haven’t come across any famous sportstars whilst doing my ‘genea’ research, so once again I will think laterally.

My own family was quite sporty.
Brother Bill had trophies from Haileybury College where he completed his secondary schooling - cross country running, billiards and table tennis.
My sister Fran and I both played school hockey in winter, in summer we did swimming and played tennis. Both of us participated in the Interschool sports each year, in athletics as well as swimming. 
  Shepparton Swimming Pool where our school sports were held.

We were very active at home living on the farm and entertained ourselves most of the time.  We had bike and roller skate races.  We played table tennis in the ‘Big Room’.  Lots of ball games, including ‘Sevens’ against the wall and tennis practice using a tennis ball on an elastic tied to an old iron base.  We swam in the channels and climbed trees. When I think back to it now – it was a great childhood.


Jim Richards and George Pearce - two cousins mucking about in the Orrvale channel

Once we were older and had moved into town we played squash – a fairly new game at the time.  We enjoyed bowling at the new Tenpin Alley.  Mum and I played tennis for the Church comp. and I played evening Badminton in a district comp. which I really enjoyed, as it became a social evening after the games. 

When my parents retired to Kingscliff NSW, they played lawn bowls and indoor bowls with neighbours and friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment