Saturday 20 October 2018

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. Week 43, Prompt - ‘Cause of Death'


Week 43 Prompt: 'Cause of Death'

The first person who came to mind for this prompt was my Grandmother Violet Maude Cottam nee Palmer.  The reason not to do with the cause of death, but the fact that she died 20 days before I was born, the 6thJuly and my birth 26thJuly.  I totally missed out on meeting her.  I like to think that she had a few words to me whilst I was in utero, because she and my mum were very, very, close, and I would have loved to have known her.  

I have always thought what a difficult time it would have been for my mother.  Grandma and Grandpa Cottam were living with my Mum and Dad at the time in Shepparton, Victoria. 
Mum explained to me that it was easier knowing that she died in communion with God, that it was a beautiful way for her to die. What did she mean by that? 
Well, when Mum went into her bedroom to say goodnight, she found Grandma kneeling, leaning on the bed in the act of saying her prayers. 
Still, Mum was close to having me and to walk in and find her like that – it must have been an awful shock. 

Grandma was 66 years old, not that old really especially now I have passed it some time ago.  
I was named after both my grandmothers, Isabel from Dad's mother Maude from Mum's mother. I always thought to myself I would have preferred Violet ! 

Violet Palmer - as a young girl - family photo

Violet Maude Palmer was born on 16 October 1879 in Belfast Victoria  – the original name for Port Fairy. She was the fifth child of six to Arthur Samuel Palmer and Eleanor Wells, both from the Sussex/Kent area of England. 

Violet was 18 going on 19 when her mother Eleanor died 01 June 1898 and the family all went to different places depending on their work. Violet went to her Aunt Ett’s (Henrietta Carmichael née Wells).  I have a Needlework Book with Violet’s name and address inside -  North St, Coburg - 18 June 1900 .

Violet 's Needlework Book frontispage

According to the Electoral Rolls, she was living out at her Uncle’s farm  - Henry Wall Palmer at Jindivick in 1903.

When she was 24, residing at Ackland St, St Kilda, Violet married Joseph COTTAM, son of James COTTAM and Eliza SHANKS, on 27 Jan 1904. The wedding was held at St John’s Church of England in Footscray, Victoria.  (Maybe she stayed with a friend that night?)

Joseph Cottam and Violet Palmer - Wedding - family photo

Grandpa and Grandma Cottam lived in the electoral district of Gisborne, Victoria in 1909. Then they were in Kew, Victoria in 1914 (where my mother was born in 1913). They had six children all up - four boys and two girls.
They had moved with the family to a farm at Jindivick, Drouin by 1919 and were still living there in 1925. 


 Two Show Prize cards 1925, for Cooking and Sewing.

Their next move took them north to Numurkah, where they were farming in 1936.  However, by 1942 they were in Shepparton at our place and still there when Grandma died.

Violet and Joseph at their second youngest son, George's wedding.


Violet by her mother, Eleanor's grave 

Joseph and Violet on the farm in latter years.


4 comments:

  1. It's sad that you missed out on meeting Violet, but lovely that you have so many photos and other memorabilia of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stella - Yes I am very pleased to have all of these.

      Delete
  2. A lovely tribute to your grandmother. My grandmother also died when my mother was expecting me - I have her name as my middle name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay for your comments. We have something lovely in common

      Delete