Wednesday 20 October 2021

I is for Isabella, Isabel, and Isobel


Isabelle is the French version, Isabella the Italian one, and Isobel the Scottish  


spelling  -- of the female given name Isabel. My Scottish ones go back to the 1600s.


The biblical name means 'God is perfection' or 'God is my oath'.

They originate from the medieval forms of the name:

Elisheba, Elisheva (Hebrew),

Elisabel (Medieval Latin),

Isabel (Spanish and Portuguese),

Isabella (Italian),

Isabelle (French, Dutch, German),

Izabela, Isobel, Ishbel (Scots),

Iseabail (Scottish Gaelic),

Ysabeau, Elizabeth (English).


I was christened after my two grandmothers Isabella McIntosh Pearce nee

Lumsden and Violet Maude Cottam nee Palmer.

Forms of Isabel have been in my Scottish paternal family for generations.


Issobell MASHE – 8th great aunt 22 Nov 1646 - Unknown

Isabel CAIRNS – 3X gt grandmother 13 Jun 1758 – 03 Jul 1858

Isabella McINTOSH – gt grandmother 24 Sep 1833 – 03 Aug 1897

Isabella McIntosh LUMSDEN – grandmother 07 Sep 1868 – 25 Feb 1954

Isabella McIntosh (Tib) PEARCE – my aunt 08 Nov 1899 – 26 Sep 1990

Isobel Frances RICHARDS – my first cousin 21 Oct 1931 - Alive



These are the only photos of my Isabellas, Isobels and Isabels, that I currently own. 


I shall have to chase relatives to try and find more.


Isabella McIntosh LUMSDEN – my paternal grandmother (Grannie Pearce) 




Isabella McIntosh (Tibbie) PEARCE – my aunt 




My father with me, Isabel, aged about 4yo.



Plus there are many others in the different lines coming down from the Pearce,

Lumsden, Learmond, and McIntosh families.


The name has also passed down to my descendants and maybe Isabel or

Isabella will be the name of more little girls in the family in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photos - especially the last one xx
    I am proud to carry the name Isabel as part of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sheezamageeza. It is a good name and it's nice to carry it on in the family.

    ReplyDelete