Saturday 11 April 2020

B is for Bridie

Challenge: 

A red-haired woman with the very Irish name of Bridie Flynn arrives in Cork. 

In conversation with locals they say, you must be Irish?! 

She replies… 

 

The Challenge Response:



‘I am Irish - in my bones, my blood and hair, as you can see.  I have the features of my father who has the face and stature of the Flynns.

I come from a line of fighters - fighters for survival.  

My Great, great, great grandfather’s family of eight (like others) was struggling with hunger in the ‘Great Famine’ of Ireland.


 Laurence Flynn and his oldest son James were returning home one evening when they ‘discovered’ a sheep. Their eyes glossed over thinking of Mary and the kids enjoying roast lamb.   They were unaware that the owner was watching and reported them for ‘stealing’.  Poor Laurence and James went with empty stomachs to prison and Laurence on to Cobh in Cork, sentenced to hard labour on Spike Island.  Here he learnt trades useful to him and the male Flynns of the future.  Building stone houses, bridges, and roads. 

Laurence dreamed of his life ahead when transported to Van Diemen’s Land over the other side of the world. He pictured his family living in safety and security, all with full stomachs, all happy and healthy. He dreamed of the coming generations.


And so it was in Cork, that I, Bridie, this young red-headed woman  –  first came to life in the mind of Laurence, my ancestor and 3X Great Grandfather.’

3 comments:

  1. Hello Isabel, Some things in common: celtic roots, red hair and Australian residence.
    I would love to hear more about your Cork family and especially of your convict ancestor Laurence Flynn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Coach Carole
      We do have things in common.
      My husband completed the Diploma of Family History with me through the University of Tasmania and wrote a long essay on his GGG grandfather Laurence Flynn. I shall ask him if I can put it on here also.
      Cheers.

      Delete