Monday 18 February 2019

2019 - #52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks; Week 8, Prompt: ‘Family Photo’

#52ancestors

‘Family Photo’


Pictured are my father and his two older sisters.  There would be two more boys born after this was taken.

In the picture are Sarah Elizabeth (Ray) 1902-1988, William Louden (Bill) 1904-1982 and Isabella MacIntosh (Tibbie) 1899-1990, Pearce.  

This is one of the photos from a box inherited from my father William Pearce.  I always liked the photo.  It is a very clear one of the children as they pose in their set places.  
Aunty Ray (L) looks happy, my Dad looks inquisitive and Aunty Tibbie the oldest seems to be putting up with it.
I love that the two girls have matching coats and skirts and their hair is brushed shiny with ribbons.  My dad looks elegant in his frilly shirt and shorts. The photo was probably taken in 1906-7 before Jim was born.

Interesting as I write this, I notice that they died in the opposite order to birth.  In fact, the whole family did – James Finlay (Jim) 1907-1972 and the youngest George Edward 1909-1942 killed in action New Guinea WWII.

Their parents were Isabella McIntosh Lumsden and George Francis (Geordie) Pearce of Scotland.   I would think that there was a complete family photo also taken, but unfortunately, I don't have one.  Except for Sarah, the children were born around the Innerleithen/Peebles area in Peebleshire.  Sarah was born at Dumbarton Road, Whiteinch, Partick, Western Glasgow.  
(I do not know why – I shall try and find out) Here is a link showing a photo of Dumbarton Road Partick, 1904

The Pearce family migrated to Victoria, Australia 07 August 1912, their ages then ranging from twelve down to two & half.  
I imagine it would have been quite some journey for their mother and father.
They settled on land they built up into an orchard.  The men became orchardists and both married and had families.  Tibbie became a nurse and teacher. Sarah married Horatio Richards an Englishman and had two children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment