Saturday 19 January 2019

2019 - #52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. Week 4, Prompt: ‘ I’d Like to Meet...’

#52ancestors

I’d Like to Meet...
                                   my grandmothers and grandfathers so they could tell me who all these people are in the photos I have inherited from my mother and father, with no names on them.
I believe this is not an uncommon happening, as I have read and heard other historians saying the same thing.

It is such a shame, as I would love to put names to faces and add them all to my family tree.  It would help me see them more clearly and I would have a lovely record for descendants. 

Dating photographs is an interesting exercise, but how sure can I be, when these people lived in different parts of Australia, England, and Scotland.  I don’t know whether they were up-to-date with the fashions of the time, which we rely on to establish time.
Distinguishing between the same gender members of the same family can be quite difficult, especially if there are strong family resemblances.

I have managed to work out a few, through matching them to named photos that cousins had of the same relatives, sometimes even a copy of the same photo. 
But sadly, there still remains a box of lost people who I will probably never meet.



This is one photo I have worked hard at naming.  
I believe it to be Rees Coventry Rees  1842-1920 and Eliza Wells (My mother’s Aunt) 1854 – 1892.  
Photo was taken at Broken Hill by G F Jenkinson

4 comments:

  1. Good luck in your search. My husband inherited boxes and albums of photographs from his parents - few of the photographs had names on them. As my husband left England when he was three he did not know any of the family personally but was able to work out some aunts and uncles. When we joined ancestry he located some family members and, when he contacted them, asked them if they could help identify people in some scanned images. Gradually he was able to reduce the number of people he did not know. However there will always be some mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that your husband had such success. I have asked around my cousins but they seem to be in the same boat with unnamed photos of their own. So sad, but I will keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely photo so hope you can match it to someone in your tree. Yes it would be excellent to meet the grandparents, I knew only one of mine. Our grandchildren are all lucky to have all 4 alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you crgalvin - Your grandchildren are indeed lucky. I hope they become interested in their family history too.

    ReplyDelete