Thursday 30 August 2018

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. Week 34, Prompt - 'Non-Population'

Week 34: 'Non-Population'

This is a term used for other schedules that aren’t the usual census population schedules.  They can be things like Agricultural, Manufacturing, Social Statistics and Business.
Possibly not so common in Australia, apart from Immunisation schedules - which I have never researched.

What I will look at instead are different ways I have looked for family history information.

I searched through school records and Sunday School and Church records from the Drouin area of Gippsland trying to find a birth date for a great uncle, unfortunately to no avail. I contacted the school and church by email. I also visited the Victorian State Archives and checked through the school records there.  It was interesting reading all the correspondence dealing with whether to open another school nearby.  No luck in my quest though.

As my Great Uncle left home to become a sailor, I also looked for ships records to see if they had any birth information.  Claude Laidlaw Palmer always used the birthdate of 04 February 1880, once he left home.  
It is in all his documents in the USA from when he was naturalized there and it is even engraved clearly on his tombstone.

Gravestone for Claude Laidlaw Palmer and wife Theodora.

Claude was the youngest in the Palmer family and the next one up was my Grandmother Violet Palmer who was born on 16 October 1879 (verified).  This caused a dilemma for me - as 3-4 months does not allow for another pregnancy to occur !  Is the date wrong? Does he belong to this family? Was he adopted? 

I contacted his descendants in the USA and they only know of 04 Feb 1880.
So I still do not know the answer to this quandary.


No comments:

Post a Comment