Tuesday 10 July 2018

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. Week 27 - Prompt: ‘Independence'

Week 27   'Independence' - Historical Fiction

Independence - I have chosen to go with a young male ancestor seeking independence and bravely moving across the globe to find it.
  
'Brothers Farewell'

“Oh, James I will miss you so,” John says. “To think my brother will be on the other side of the world and I won’t see you, it grieves my heart.”  

“I feel the same,” James says.  “But remember ‘tis my big opportunity.  I shall have my own land and farm without father’s and Elizabeth’s ridicule.” 

“ ‘tis hard for me to understand your love of the soil, we are so different,” John says.

James is quiet for a moment thinking about John and his passion for trains and the railways compared to his own bent for growing and harvesting.  

James lowers his voice, 
“Nothing can come between us. We have a special bond, being of the one mother.  Not like Mary Ann who shares our father only.”

“True,” John says, handing James a package. “Here is some writing paper.  Promise to send news as soon as you arrive.  I want to picture where you are and what you’re doing. There is also a Bible to remember your God with comfort.  Our daily prayers will always include you, dear brother. Once you are established, Rebecca and I hope you meet a good woman, ‘tis pure enjoyment to chat by your fireside with the woman you love.”

James agrees in his mind that he would be overjoyed to experience that same love, but replies –– 

“I think my hours will be taken up settling in and working.” 

As the brothers share a final hug, James wonders, ‘will we ever be together again?’

________________________________________________

Reflective Statement

My Great Grandfather, James Cottam laboured on his father’s farms in Lancashire. His younger brother John was a railways worker at Sheffield. They never met up again. Both died in accidents.  James was forty-four when killed in a rockslide. He arrived in Victoria in 1852 and married eight years later. He left a wife in-child and six children.
John, twenty-nine, was killed in a shunting accident. He left Rebecca and five young children.


I wish I’d known them and that they’d come together again.  I decided to bring them to life in my story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment