Wednesday 31 January 2018

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. Week 2: 'Favourite Photo'



Week 2 Prompt:  'Favourite Photo'





Meet my Great Grandmother - Eleanor Wells who was born in 17 February 1840, in Speldhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England.  Her family Thomas Wells and Eleanor (Nee Fry) and siblings emigrated "on their own account' in 1853 on the "Ann Milne".  She married Arthur Samuel Palmer in Port Fairy (originally named Belfast), Victoria in June 1871. She was 58 years old when she died in Warragul, and is buried there.

Why have I chosen this photo from the many I have ?   Because this one is precious - I only received this photocopy a while back.  Before that I had no picture of her.  Another descendant kindly sent it to me.  I was so thrilled because if you look closely you can see the coloured stones brooch she has at her neck.  My mother gave me 1/2 of that brooch years ago.  She told me it had belonged to her Grandmother (Eleanor Wells) who gave it to her daughter Violet Maude Cottam (nee Palmer) and Violet eventually had it divided into 2 brooches to hand on to her 2 daughters - my Mum and her elder sister Eleanor Elizabeth Burkitt (nee Cottam).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REFERENCES:
Birth of Eleanor Wells: Birthday Book Lilian Pearce (nee Cottam), my mother.
Emigration: Index to Assisted British Immigration 1839-1871, Ship 'Ann Milne', Passenger records.
Marriage: Australian BDM Register, Schedule D, No 24, Marriage Copy of Entry.
Death: Australian BDM Register, Schedule B, Victoria, Death Copy of Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment